Skip to main content

I fear Oblivion. Do you?

Oblivion
It's a great book and everyone should read it
Patrick “Augustus, perhaps you’d like to share your fears with the group.”
 “My fears?”
“Yes.”
 “I fear oblivion,” he said without a moment’s pause. “I fear it like the proverbial blind man who’s afraid of the dark.”
“Too soon,” Isaac said, cracking a smile.
“Was that insensitive?” Augustus asked. “I can be pretty blind to other people’s feelings.”
Isaac was laughing, but Patrick raised a chastening finger and said, “Augustus, please. Let’s return to you and your struggles. You said you fear oblivion?”
“I did,” Augustus answered.
Patrick seemed lost. “Would, uh, would anyone like to speak to that?”
I hadn’t been in proper school in three years. My parents were my two best friends. My third best friend was an author who did not know I existed. I was a fairly shy person—not the hand-raising type. And yet, just this once, I decided to speak. I half raised my hand and Patrick, his delight evident, immediately said, “Hazel!” I was, I’m sure he assumed, opening up. Becoming Part Of The Group. I looked over at Augustus Waters, who looked back at me. You could almost see through his eyes they were so blue.
“There will come a time,” I said, “when all of us are dead. All of us. There will come a time when there are no human beings remaining to remember that anyone ever existed or that our species ever did anything. There will be no one left to remember Aristotle or Cleopatra, let alone you. Everything that we did and built and wrote and thought and discovered will be forgotten and all of this”—I gestured encompassingly—“will have been for naught. Maybe that time is coming soon and maybe it is millions of years away, but even if we survive the collapse of our sun, we will not survive forever. There was time before organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. God knows that’s what everyone else does.”

Excerpt from The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary Oblivion is
 :the state of something that is not remembered, used, or thought about any more
: the state of being unconscious or unaware : the state of not knowing what is going on around you
: the state of being destroyed
:  the fact or condition of forgetting or having forgotten; especially :  the condition of being oblivious
:  the condition or state of being forgotten or unknown 
 
PS: the book is great and if you love reading, get yourself a copy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Believe or Not? Friend or Frenemy?

Should you trust your friend when they tell you your girlfriend or boyfriend is a fake? Should you consider it jealousy or do you go ahead and believe them? How do you handle the situation? James always kept an eye on his wife’s phone ever since his friend Timothy, told him he had spotted her in a compromising situation. He couldn’t divulge the details in case he was wrong but James was hell bent on finding the truth. He found nothing for the first two weeks and decided it was a bluff. He decided to surprise her and apologize for being such a dick the past two weeks. He got some beautiful flowers, got out of work some minutes before lunch and got to her workplace. He sat at a cafe just opposite their offices and called her up. Susan, his wife claimed to be so busy she couldn’t head out for lunch. A disappointed James got into his car and was about to head out of the parking lot when he spotted Susan get into a car right outside the office.  Out of curiosity, he follo

The Helping Dilemma

image originally from http://www.buzzle.com I always stumble upon this mentally ill guy as I get out of our estate. I am going to call him Jack. As I rush back home from work, I am sure to meet him somewhere having conversations with himself. Sometimes I wonder, as I turn off the lights and get into my warm bed, where does jack sleep and is it consistent? As I wash my clothes during the weekend, does Jack have clothes to change into? As I get into that shower after a long day at work, does Jack even have water to drink? As I enjoy that expensive meal at a Porsche hotel, does Jack have anything to eat? When I go out to meet my friends on a Friday night, does Jack have family let alone friends?  My conscience is always fighting. On one part it wants me to buy Jack some food or a cup of tea, to bring him some clothes and shoes to wear, to get him into lodging and let him get a shower, the list is endless. The other one wonders whether Jack will accept the kindness in g

Appreciating Life

The real tragedy in life is not loosing your job, your fiancee or money. No,the real tragedy is not appreciating life itself. Being grateful that you are alive and kicking. That both your arms and legs are working and though you have no ability to throw the Javelin like Julius Yego, you still have the use of your hands. Though you can not run as fast as Kipchoge, you can walk to work if Kenya turned to Uganda. That you can appreciate both the rising and going down of the sun. That you not only can tell what color is green you can see it. The ability to enjoy full health except for the frequent cold bouts that come and go. The ability to have a place to sleep. The ability to swing or drag yourself out of bed every morning without any pain. And even though you have no closet full of new clothes and shoes at least you do not walk in tatters. Though you have no figure 8 like size 8, you have no deformities on any part of your body. We forget to thank God for all this blessings He has g